Flossing Can Reduce Bad Breath Says Your Dentist in Jacksonville

Forms Reviews Watch
New Patients Welcome

Flossing Can Reduce Bad Breath Says Your Dentist in Jacksonville

May 4, 2018

Filed under: Uncategorized — drjohnson @ 9:20 pm

A woman flossing.Do your friends and family cringe every time you talk to them, making you think that you said the wrong thing? Would you say your oral care is thorough? If you notice people holding their breath every time you try to say something to them, you may need to make a change in your oral care habits to reduce your bad breath. According to your dentist in Jacksonville, incorporating the act of flossing can make a big difference.

To learn why flossing may be the answer to your halitosis, keep reading. 

Why is Flossing Important?

Even if you brush every day, you should know that brushing alone is not enough to remove plaque from all the surfaces of your teeth. It’s estimated that brushing only reaches 65 percent of your teeth. That means the remaining 35 percent needs to be removed by flossing, at least once a day.

When you floss, you’re removing bacteria and food particles from the sides of your teeth. These both contribute to bad breath, so removing them on a daily basis will improve your breath overall. As a bonus, flossing dramatically reduces your chances of developing tooth decay and gum disease, two conditions that can also accelerate bad breath symptoms.

How Do I Reduce Plaque Buildup?

The key to removing bad breath through flossing is to make it a dedicated part of your daily oral care regimen. This begins with picking the right floss for you. Some patients who’ve had orthodontic treatment may not be able to floss as easily if they aren’t using one that’s thin enough to fit. The result is floss unnecessarily snapping and shredding as you thread it in between your teeth. Your ability to floss may also be inhibited if it isn’t waxed or if it’s an old package.

According to your family dentist in Jacksonville, flossing should be done once a day. A great time to do it is before bed since your mouth isn’t producing as much saliva as you sleep. This means bacteria on the sides of your teeth will be more capable of growing and producing foul odors throughout the night.

What is Good Flossing Technique?

For good technique, start by pulling out at least 12 to 18 inches of floss so you have enough to wrap around your fingers. When you’ve got a small section in between your fingers, begin flossing away at your visible teeth, carefully threading and sliding it against your enamel. As you get further into your mouth, wrap floss around the finger parallel to the side you’re working on (i.e. wrap around your right finger when flossing the right side of your mouth.

What Else Can Reduce My Bad Breath?

If you still have trouble with bad breath, consider the following:

  • Drink plenty of fluids during the day to prevent dry mouth.
  • Add a mouthwash specifically designed for killing bad breath to your routine.
  • Visit your dentist if your breath is bad, even after brushing.

Bad breath doesn’t have to be a fact of life. You can improve your breath with daily flossing! Schedule an appointment with your dentist in Jacksonville today to learn more tips!

About the Author

Dr. Ryan Johnson earned his DDS degree from the University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine. Today, he’s pursuing his Fellowship with the Academy of General Dentistry and helping patients improve their oral health. To learn more, contact him through his website.

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.