How Long Does Cosmetic Dentistry Last?
January 25, 2023
Everyone can have the smile of their dreams with cosmetic dentistry, but how long will your results last? Every mouth and situation differs. Some procedures have a lifespan of a few years, while others can thrive for a lifetime. Here’s how long you can expect your new smile to last and what you can do to get the most from your investment.
A veneer is a thin restoration that covers the front side of a tooth, improving its color, size, and shape. Bonding them to the teeth visible when smiling addresses many issues using one minimally invasive procedure. They are meant to provide a long-term solution when used to correct stains, chips, and gaps. Veneers have a life expectancy of 10 years, but it’s not uncommon for them to last for much longer with the right care.
All-Ceramic Dental Crowns
All-ceramic materials are used to create a custom-made cap that’s placed over the entire tooth above the gum line. Although they don’t contain any metals, they are durable and can last for about 10 years; however, many things affect their lifespan, like your oral hygiene routine.
A professional-grade whitening agent penetrates the enamel to improve surface and age-related stains by up to 8 shades. Your pearly whites can stay bright and beautiful for several months or years, depending on how well you avoid stain-causing factors, like smoking, coffee, or red wine.
Invisalign is a discreet alternative to metal braces. Clear aligners worn over your teeth can fix bite and alignment issues with brackets and wires. Your results can last for a lifetime by following your aftercare instructions, like wearing your retainer.
Tips to Protect Your Investment
Although every procedure has a different life expectancy, following a few tips will ensure your dazzling results last:
- Brush your teeth at least twice daily for 2 minutes using a soft-bristled toothbrush and nonabrasive toothpaste
- Use high-quality floss to clean between each tooth daily.
- Limit your consumption of sugary foods and drinks.
- Break any bad habits, like using your teeth as tools or chewing on your fingernails.
- Limit how often you have stain-causing foods and drinks, like berries, coffee, and tea.
- Don’t smoke or drink alcohol in excess.
- Wear an athletic mouthguard if you play sports.
- Wear a nightguard if you grind or clench your teeth.
- Avoid hard or sticky foods.
- Visit your dentist every 6 months for a cleaning and checkup.
You can achieve the picture-perfect smile you desire for many years by giving your teeth the attention they deserve.
About Dr. Tim Bradberry
Dr. Bradberry earned his dental degree from the LECOM School of Dental Medicine and has regularly continued his education in advanced services, like cosmetic dentistry, CEREC crowns, and Invisalign. He combines the art and science of dentistry to help each patient achieve their best smile. If you’re ready to improve your smile, contact our office through our website or call (904) 549-6979 to request an appointment.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.